The Canary and Linnet is a pub and restaurant with a long and colourful history spanning across centuries.

The Canary and Linnet Today

Today, we are pub and restaurant that puts our customers first. It is our primary goal to provide everybody who visits our historic pub with an exemplary time. In order to achieve our primary goal, we have developed three core principles that every member of our excellent team follow.

A Story Starting in 1795…

Originally The Canary and Linnet started out as a The Chequers in separate premises in Beeston Road, with the first landlord John Jarvis running the pub from 1795. For almost 2oo years The Chequers served Great Fransham as a public house until its license was changed premises.


In 1954, Morgan’s Brewery applied for the license to be changed, despite protestations by Fransham Parish Council. Eventually, a compromise was reached by ensuring toilets were installed. This was to become The Canary and Linnet in the building we see today. It’s name originates from the fact the pub is halfway between Kings Lynn and Norwich and when the two football teams played each other the away fans frequented the pub on their journeys to and from the match so the nicknames of each club, The Canaries (Norwich) and The Linnets (Kings Lynn) forming the name.

Since then The Canary and Linnet has seen landlords come and go, with its most recent owners being Mark and Tia safeguarding its future as a central hub for the local community.

Meet The Team

To bring service together we rely on each and everyone of out team members who play an integral part in making The Canary and Linnet the fantastic pub it is today.